People working for long hours and students studies late night stand in need of coffee every so often. You definitely know why? Because it stimulates their nervous activity and makes them work for long hours. It is not really surprising that this cup of coffee is actually healthy and there are many health benefits but there are some drawbacks also.
Not all of us are aware about the right quantity and time to consume coffee. If we consume coffee on a right time and in a right quantity could improve our alertness up to 64 percent. It is a fact not known to many. It is not about coffee but the caffeine.
Let us see those benefits of coffee we may wonder about and unwittingly taking advantage of.
- Enhances physical performance: A cup of coffee completely changes the algorithms of the mind and makes you feel refreshed and energized. An hour prior to your workout if you consume it will help increases adrenaline levels in blood and enhances your performance by 11- 12 percent. Adrenaline is the “fight or flight” hormone, which prepares your body for exertion during the workout.
- Weight loss: Coffee increases your metabolism by up to 20 percent. It causes fats to break down and to release free fatty acids in the bloodstreams to further use them as a fuel. This entire fat burning process during exercise helps with weight loss.
- Lowers the mortality rate: Coffee lovers have a lower risk of overall mortality compared to those who don’t drink. So, stick to a cup of coffee every day and enjoy a long life.
- Reduces risk of cancer: It may decrease a risk of developing prostate cancer in men and endometrial cancer in women. It also prevents the most common skin cancer called basal cell carcinoma.
- Helps fight depression: Depression is becoming the major issue worldwide and many deaths have occurred in last few years. But people who drink coffee are so energized and ready for all ups and downs which help them ward off suicidal thoughts.
- Reduced stress: Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and boosts production of neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and noradrenaline, which elevate your mood. Which further helps you feel relaxed?
- Improved kidney health: It is rumored that coffee may deteriorate your kidney turned out wrong. Your morning booster cup is actually good to reduce kidney health risk including kidney stones.
- Reduced Diabetes risk: It helps to fight back against type 2 diabetes.
- Improves heart health: It is a good source of niacin, which can reduce atherosclerosis and so it lowers the risk of heart attack due to arterial plaque. But, coffee intake must be moderate else may put stress on your heart.
- Enhances respiratory health: The pantothenic acid found in caffeine is good to improve your respiratory health. So, just take a breath and enjoy your cup of Joe.
- Reduces muscle cramps: Coffee is a good source of magnesium, which fight against muscle cramps as well as improves the reaction time.
- Improve reaction time and alertness: Add coffee to your routine and see the wonders. It does change your brain algorithms and increase energy and blood circulation in no time. It results in improved reaction time and alertness.
- Reduces retinal damage: Antioxidants in the coffee can be a powerful protector against retinal damage. Hence, to keep your retinas healthy is as easy as to consume a cup of coffee.
- Good for the liver: Diseases including cirrhosis and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) can be cast aside by a cup of coffee. Even coffee drinkers have 40 percent lower risk of developing liver cancer.
- Reduces gum risk: Coffee has a quite bad reputation for mouth ailments like staining of the teeth and bad breath. Whereas, coffee is good to reduce gum diseases and effective cavity fighter.
Every commodity has its pros and cons; similarly, there are some drawbacks to this one too.
- It can be toxic: Quality matters in case of coffee too. Bad quality of coffee may turn out to be the cause of your sickness, headache or general bad feeling.
- It can kill you: The excess amount of any commodity can lead you to death. So the coffee is. If you drink 80-100 cups (23 liters) in short duration then you are duly prone to kill yourself. 10-13 grams of caffeine is highly perilous to health.
- Causes insomnia and restlessness: We are well informed about caffeine that it stimulates our nervous system and raises the alertness. If you drink bit more quantity of coffee (4 cups of coffee in a day) then it may lead to insomnia (lack of sleep).
- Affect fetus: If you are pregnant and still consuming your regular dose of coffee then your fetus would be in danger. It is highly recommended to quit coffee or at least lower your intake.
- Increase bedwetting: Caffeine consumption by 5-7-year-old kids may increase the risk of bedwetting.
- Reduces bone density: It contributes to osteoporosis and increases the risk of bone fracture. But, it is only associated with the high quantity of coffee intake.
Well, every coin has a flip side and so our coffee has. There numerous benefits to it and very few drawbacks, if you take an overdose of it. So, kick-start your day with good quality and quantity of Joe.
Recommended read 9 incredible benefits of drinking milk.