Healthy eating is an important part of staying physically and mentally fit. Of course, this can have its challenges such as finding meals, prep, time for healthy options outside the home, and using the money for nicer things. Fortunately, we can consider the benefits of cooking healthy recipes at home which also saves your money and make an overall healthy eating lifestyle, more enjoyable. Let’s see how.
Healthy recipes – Simple Chili & Sweet Potato Chips
If you want to develop your skills in the kitchen there are many cooking recipe articles and tutorials that show you different techniques and ingredients that you can incorporate into your healthy diet.
For the potatoes:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper
For the simple chili:
- 1 lb. (450g) lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. chili flakes
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (14oz./400g)
- 6 fl. oz. (170ml) water
For the garnish:
- 2 tbsp. coriander, chopped
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Heat the oven to 420°F (215°C).
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into chips. Season the chopped potatoes with the garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper, then sprinkle with buckwheat flour. Drizzle with olive oil and make sure all the potatoes are seasoned.
- Spread the potatoes on a baking tray, making sure they are not too close together. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- In the meantime, heat a non-stick pan over a medium-high skillet and add the ground beef. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and season with chili flakes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water. Then stir, reducing the heat to low. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, until most liquid evaporates.
- To serve, divide the potatoes between plates and top with chili, mashed avocado and sprinkle with coriander.
- Preparation Time – 10 mins
- Cooking time -40 mins
- Serves – 4
Nutritional Intake per serving
- Calories – 382 Kcal
- Carbs – 33 (g)
- Fats – 16 (g)
- Protein – 29 (g)
- Diet free
- Gluten free
- Meal prep/Freezer friendly
- High protein
Benefits of homemade healthy recipes
- It saves time– When you’re in a hurry, eating a takeaway from your local supermarket or nearby restaurant may seem like a quick fix. In fact, it is sometimes much faster to cook something at home especially when planning ahead. There are many meals that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
- Portion Control– Many restaurants and fast-food outlets serve larger portions than recommended. And the problem is that you can eat the food when it’s right in front of you. You can adjust the amount of food served at dinner when you eat to eliminate unnecessary temptations. Do you know these eating patterns can actually impact you daily? Know more.
- Healthy Ingredients– Many commercial foods are high in fat, salt, and sugar. When we prepare our food, we know what the ingredients are and what each one does in our food.
- Avoid food allergies and sensitivities– Preparing meals at home can be especially helpful if you or a family member has food allergies (1). You can reduce the problem of allergies because you can control them in your own kitchen.
- Bring the family together – Eating at home gives the whole family time to talk about their day. Involving your kids in food preparation is not only fun but wonderful. Also, a way to learn healthy eating habits.
- Save Money – Eating a home-cooked meal is much cheaper than eating out at a restaurant or buying processed food from the market. You pay not only your bill but also the costs of running your business. Water, lights, and staff in the building – except for the food we eat. The same goes for ready-made and frozen foods at the grocery store.
“Eating healthy, clean and nutrient-rich food fills your body with energy, nutrients, and antioxidants. Imagine your cells smiling back at you saying thanks!!”