A chronic disease which lesion the central nervous system in a human being, later could lead to many other complications like pneumonia. The chief concern in Multiple Sclerosis is difficulty knowing its progress. In case of this disease affected age group could be 15 to 60 years though it can occur at any age.
It is unpleasant that there is no cure and only symptoms of MS can be relieved to manage normal life. Therefore, it would always be acknowledged to know possible causes and sit out of its complications. But in the case of MS research is still in progress to learn about its key players. It is thought out to be an autoimmune disease (Autoimmune diseases are those caused by antibodies or lymphocytes produced against substances congenitally present in the body) and myelin (the fatty substance that coats and protects nerve fibers in the brain and spinal cord) is destroyed by the immune system itself.
Hence, this write-up will include risk and possible factors for Multiple Sclerosis rather the actual causes.
Risk factors for MS
- Age: It occurs in every age group of people but the most common group is 15 to 60 years.
- Sex: Sex hormones can impact and be impacted by the immune system. It is discovered that women are more than twice as men likely to have MS.
- Family history: It is not hereditary. But the risk factors could be investigated in your genes. If any of your blood relatives have this disease then you are more likely to have this.
- Virus: Though researchers are still not sure about the viruses linked to MS but viruses that cause infections like mononucleosis and varicella zoster can be linked.
- Environmental factors: People live away from the equator are at high risk of MS. Moreover, white people are also at high risk.
- Smoking: Smokers are more prone to develop relapsing-remitting kind of MS than non-smokers. Smokers can lower its intensity by quit smoking.
- Underlying autoimmune diseases: People those who are already underlying diseases such as thyroid disease, type 1 diabetes or inflammatory bowel disease are more likely to get MS.
- Vitamin D: Human body produces vitamin D when exposed to sunlight and it helps to prevent many immune-related diseases.
There is still a debate amongst scientists about the causes of MS. Above are some possible risk factors mentioned in the research made to date. Researchers have also cleared that allergies, artificial sweeteners, pets, and exposure to heavy metals are not causes of MS.