Walnut, not merely appears like a human brain possesses multifarious functions. Ancient Greek first found this nut resembles brain structure and later named ‘brain food’. Such as left and right hemispheres, wrinkles analogous to the brain’s cerebral cortex and were also contained in a hard husk similar to a skull.
Every time we have advised to include nuts in your diet to gather the vitamins, minerals, fibers, and fats. All types of nuts are rich in nutrients essential to go a long way journey of healthy living. The best amongst them is ‘walnut’. The following nutrition information is provided by the USDA for one ounce (28g);
- Calories: 183
- Fat: 18g
- Sodium: 0.6mg
- Carbohydrates: 3.8g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sugars: 0.7g
- Protein: 4.3g
High in Protein – Walnuts contain 15 percent protein. It is one of the three macronutrients most essential in our body, the other two are carbohydrates and fats. The protein consists of thousands of amino acids that perform many functions in tissues. They help in catalyzing metabolic reactions, transports molecules from one place to another, and play a role of energy source similar to carbohydrates. It is essential to incorporate protein in our diet to rebuild tissues and repair muscles. Walnut is an excellent food for it.
Good source of Fats – It is a nutrient that serves both structural and metabolic functions in the body. Walnut consists of 65 percent of fats by weight. Though walnuts contain fats and high in calories does not promote obesity. There is one fat called omega-3 fat which is discovered benign to lower the risk of cardiovascular functioning.
Omega-3 cannot be produced by our body itself we need it to consume from a diet. Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) in particular, which improves the composition of blood fats is found in walnuts at an excellent amount. Also, it helps you fight depression and stress.
Rich in Fiber – Dietary fibers are good to monitor your bowel health, lower cholesterol levels, control blood sugar levels, and help you manage a healthy weight. Walnut is an excellent food to fulfill your need. High-fiber foods are good but in moderate or essential amount. Excessive intake may lead you to other gastrointestinal problems.
Vitamins for proper functioning – It is an essential micronutrient for the proper functioning of the metabolism. Vitamin does not synthesize by the body. It needs to be consumed by the outside source. In the series of various proteins, walnut is rich in vitamin B6 and vitamin E. Vitamin B6 strengthens the immune system.
High in Minerals – There are some minerals required in our body to maintain optimal health. Minerals are important to keep your bones, heart, muscles, and brain in good working condition. Walnut consists of phosphorous, manganese, and copper.
The Health Benefits
Walnuts have some uncommon qualities such as its antioxidant nature; it contains a good quantity of omega-3 fats and provides aid to lower risks of many life-threatening diseases such as cancer, inflammation, brain disorders, etc. Let see them in particular.
1. If you wish to lower any possibility of causing some types of cancers – ‘Cancer’, a mere word is enough to make people half dead. Therefore, it is always important to keep away from all those possible causes of such a malady and adjoin healthy habits. Some types of cancers such as prostate, breast, and collateral can be kept at distant by eating walnut every day.
Walnuts are abundant in phenolic compounds, gamma-tocopherol, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants. These elements certainly can help in reducing the chances of cancer. As per the Harvard research study, when included the right amount and also consumed regularly, walnuts might lead to hereditary changes and also avoid the threat of colon cancer.
Some other bodily substances located in walnuts are Catechin, Melatonin, Phytic acid as well as Ellagic acid. These compounds are great antioxidants, minimize heart risks, suppress cancer development, and also maintain the digestion tract.
2. To monitor your blood pressure, mood, sleep – These are some of the vital factors in our everyday life. Since walnut is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which boosts. Lack of omega-3 can lead to irritability, stress, and rage. Also, this type of nuts produces the hormone melatonin, which is an excellent factor to induce sleep. Likewise, it can help to lower the impact of PTSD and depression-like disorders.
3. Eat nuts and lower the risk of heart diseases – According to a study, people who eat nuts more than four times a week are 37 percent less prone to any kind of heart problem. Walnuts have the amino acid I-arginine, which cut down the risks of various cardiac problems. It also contains alpha-linolenic acid which we need to consume from our diet, prevents the formation of pathological blood clots, and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
4. Improves brain health – The same omega-3 fatty acids improve our brain functions. Omega-3 fatty acids along with the minerals iodine and selenium help you keep your brain healthy the most favorable.
5. Perfect food for weight management – Walnuts have high nutritional value and are beneficial in weight management. Fat is infamous amongst the community and wishes to lose weight. But, the contrary is true in this case. Walnuts contain all good fats along with the fiber. This will help you to maintain your weight and fitness hand in hand. It also reduces the cravings for food.
6. Get the perfect skin – You must have gone through a saying – fats, vitamins, and minerals are salient for perfect skin health. And it is not surprising walnuts have these all, in particular, vitamin E. Many wide cosmetic brands use walnut shells to prepare physical exfoliants for the skin. Furthermore, the vitamin B complex increases cell renewal. It proves good to get the glow on your skin.
7. Lower the risk of type-2 diabetes – Walnut has maintained a balance between nutrients. Though patients are suffering from type-2 diabetes can eat walnuts without any side-effect. It will not induce weight and will control blood sugar levels.
8. Increased sperm count – Consuming walnuts routinely could boost sperm health. Another research studied that the men who consumed about two handfuls of blended almonds, hazelnuts, and walnuts daily for 14 weeks found improved their sperm matter.
The right time to eat
If you wish to obtain the optimum gain from nuts, then it’s recommended to eat them in the early morning. Consuming nuts along with breakfast can assist you to prevent fatigue as well as efficiently manage high blood pressure in your body.
Soaked walnut – Many studies have shown the beneficial results of soaked walnuts. Soak the walnuts throughout the night in water and munch them in the morning before breakfast or you can carry them along at your work as a snacking option during the day.
The best time to have walnut is before any kind of 2 meals daily. Have 7-8 walnut halves and also consume a glass of water after 15 minutes to half an hour. You will feel filled and also will ultimately eat much less food.
Consuming walnuts daily prior to bed may help if you struggle with sleep. Walnuts have a couple of residential properties that may promote far better sleep, including their content of melatonin and also healthy fats.
The walnuts are dense in calories, hence about a handful of walnuts are an adequate portion, though some scientists have actually claimed that taking in walnuts does not result in weight gain unless various other fats are removed from the diet. With many advantages, you just need to take in 1- 2 walnuts daily.
Walnut may create allergies in individuals that are sensitive to it. People who are allergic to nuts need to not eat walnuts. If the individual develops a rash or hives or difficulty breathing after eating walnuts, medical attention must be sought. The nut can trigger the softening of the stool and bloating. A high usage has likewise been connected to diarrhea.
Must read – 10 useful tips to lose weight naturally
Its crunchiness, delicious taste, and versatility will foster you to use them in foods such as ice cream toppings, cookies, salads, pasta, soups, sauce, cakes, energy bars, and used with various foods in the amalgamation.
Walnut is rich in nutrients and the best in savor. Therefore, it important to eat in moderate to extract maximum benefits. Overeating can lead to some health ailments.