The metabolism is an organic and chemical process inside organisms which is necessary to maintain life. It is the burning of calories or fats and converting to energy. We eat food that contains calories. These calories combined with oxygen to release the energy your body needs to function. This biochemical process lets you stay alive.
We have been hearing that drinking more water enhances your body’s metabolism. It also helps in losing bodyweight. Drinking water helps to boost your body metabolism, cleanse your body waste, and acts as an appetite suppressant.
Water and Metabolism
We have already talked about the benefits of drinking water at the best time.
Once we feel thirsty, we drink water. The thirst is associated with a decrease in extracellular fluid or an increase in plasma osmolality. After ingesting water, extracellular fluid and plasma osmolality levels get to normal.
- Extracellular Fluid (ECF) denotes all body fluid outside of cells in the body. It consists of plasma, interstitial, and transcellular fluid. It is found in blood, in lymph, in body cavities lined with a serous membrane, in the cavities and channels of the brain and spinal cord, and in muscular and other body tissues. The decrease in ECF causes a decrease in blood pressure which further produces thirst sensations via baroreceptors.
- Plasma osmolality measures the body’s electrolyte-water balance. It is the measure of the hydration status during dehydration and hydration. The increase in plasma osmolality activates osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus which results in activation of thirst sensations.
According to a study published in the Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism (1), researchers stated that the metabolic rates jumped by 30% in both men and women after drinking 17 oz of water.
The increase happened within 10 minutes of drinking water, reached its peak 30-40 minutes after drinking, and lasted over an hour. The researchers estimated that drinking 1.5 more liters of water than you normally do would translate to increase your daily energy expenditure by about 200Kj which is approximately 50 calories.
Must read – How to choose the best water purifier for home
The human body consists of 70% of water. And constantly, we lose it either via urine or sweat. It is recommended to drink at least 2 liters or 8 glass of water a day. It is advocated to drink water when you are thirsty by the time you are getting thirsty your body has already been coping with impacts of dehydration.
Benefits of drinking warm water
- Keeps you hydrated.
- Improves Digestion. The warm water soothes and activates the digestive tract. Warm water will give your brain the sensation of warmth and feeling that it is almost a meal as opposed to thirst-quenching.
- Calms the central nervous system. It lubricates your body and calms the central nervous system. It is certainly helpful for the person with arthritis.
- Works on constipation. Drinking warm water on an empty stomach is helpful to relieve constipation. It helps to contract the intestines and help to pass the waste out of your body.
- Many studies have shown that drinking warm water may aid in weight loss. Warm water with lemon helps to burn more calories. It prevents bloating in your body, thus getting rid of excess water weight.
- Activates your metabolism and bring down the internal temperature down.
- Improves circulation. Helps in relieving blood pressure. Also helps to feel distressed.
- It helps to clear sinuses. The warm water helps to clear nasal congestion quickly as the higher temperature may speed up the rate at which mucus may travel.
Benefits of drinking cold water
In a study conducted in 2003 noted that the people who drank ice-water experienced a 30% increase in metabolism. It further suggested that drinking half-liter of ice-water every day helps to burn approximately 100 calories.
- Keeps you hydrated.
- Brain proficiency. The cold water will make your brain believe that your thirst is quenched. As your body absorbs room temperature water much faster and requires less energy to absorb than warm water.
- Post-workout drink. During and after exercise, it is recommended to have cold water to lower down the temperature.
- Combats heat stroke. In summers, drinking cold water is good for your health. The cold water absorbed in the body fast compared to warm water.
- Weight loss. The cold water also helps in maintaining or losing weight.
- Coldwater gives you glowing skin. It helps you to give healthy glow by encouraging blood to rush to the surface of the skin.
- Coldwater boosts your immune system.
- Works on the better circulation of your body.
Rather than drinking sugary drinks, drinking plain water boost metabolism. Drinking water does not possess that healthiness which ‘on right time’ drinking has. Yet, proposed water consumption is in reference to age, weight, sex, climate, and activity (such as workout).
It is important to drink enough water either warm or cold. Whatever the temperature is, the water helps to boost up the metabolism of your body. Monitor your water consumption to stay fit.
Water has to drink when you are longing for it and stop when you have quenched. You should consider these 8 best times to drink water to stay healthy and improve your metabolism.