Smile, an amused and pleased feature in which our teeth exposed to the world, should be alive too. It is only possible when your gums are flawless. You might have entangled in such an embarrassing situation when your gums were sore and you were not able to enjoy the moment. Hence, gums health is a very important factor.
We always infer gums sore is the result of poor oral hygiene and it is true but to some extent. Yes, gums sore, decay, white gums, cavities and gum diseases may have resulted from other reasons. This write-up will reveal all those possible causes of your unhealthy gums.
There are some alarming signs of unhealthy gums:
- Bleed when you brush or floss
- Gums become red and swollen
- Gums started moving away from your teeth
- Gums get hurt when you brush, floss, or eat anything too hot or cold
- A bad taste or mouth odor
- White spots or plaques on the gums
- Pus between the gums and teeth
Your gums say much about your health.
- If your gums are receding away from your teeth: Some people grind their teeth at night in sleep, it puts a lot of pressure on their gum line teeth and jawbones. This could lead to sensitivity or tells you about your underlying stress condition. Sometimes, it is linked with sleep apnea also. These fleeing gums are in consequence of hard toothbrush bristles or overwhelming brushing. Hence, you must brush your teeth with little more care.
- If gums are sore: Sometimes you feel itching, tingling or burning on the border of the mouth from inside since the blisters are about to pop up. This outbreak of blisters takes two to four weeks to heal completely. In case of these painful sores, the distinct thing could be that ‘herps’, which causes from the viruses named HSV-1 and HSV-2. If you think your gums sore is herps, you should meet your doctor to get an antiviral drug to speed up your healing.
- If your gums are super pale: Hemoglobin gives blood a red color and if you are lacking it may show paleness, including in your gums. Light to dark pink or if you have dark complexion then sometimes purple or brown are the healthy colors for your gums. If you think your gums are super pale, get in touch with your doctor because you may be suffering from the blood disorder, anemia. Secondly, if your gums are white then you need to see your doctor promptly since it may be due to Gingivitis, Canker sores, Oral candidiasis, Leukoplakia, Oral cancer, etc.
- If you are diabetic: If you are one of those dealing with diabetes, your body takes additional time to heal wound anywhere on the body and so for the gums outbreak. To the contrary, if you have a bacterial infection in the mouth, it makes difficult to control diabetes.
Who is at risk?
There are other factors responsible for oral problems and so those people are at risk.
Smoker: They are much more likely to develop gum diseases such as gingivitis and periodontal disease. Avoiding tobacco or smoking should be the first thing to keep your gums healthy.
Diabetic: The people with diabetes are more prone to develop gum diseases since their body is potentially weak to heal any kind of bacterial infection.
If having a family history: People having gum diseases in their antecedents are probably at more risk to develop gum problems in them too.
Having weak immune system: Few other underlying conditions such as HIV and AIDS in which your immune system gets weaken make it difficult to combat developed gum problems.
Distressed: Adequate sleep plays a key role in your health. It helps to keep your immune system fit to fight any kind of infection.
Recommended read: How to keep your gums and teeth healthy
Gum diseases are so risky that they could lead to complete tooth loss. It is always advised not to ignore gum health because of many diseases caused by gum problems.