The seasonal change is a critical time for health, as it also impacts our immune system and creates an environment for infections. In such a case, sore throat is the most common complaint among people with weak immunity.
Sore throat is considered as common and there is nothing to worry about. Usually, they get better by themselves within a week. Moreover, with proper measures and remedies, you can cure throat irritation without any pill.
Must read – Factors affecting your immune system
What is Sore Throat?
In human physiology, the throat is a tube that carries food to your esophagus and air to your windpipe and larynx (also called the voice box). The technical name for the throat is pharynx.
A sore throat is painful. The scratchy throat condition that occurs mostly due to certain reasons (apart from seasonal change) like;
- Cold and Flu
- Dry air
- Tobacco and Smoking
- Strep throat
- Air Pollution
The symptoms may include;
- A painful throat, especially when swallowing
- A dry, scratchy throat
- Nasal congestion
- redness in the back of the mouth
- Hoarse voice
- Bad breath
- Sometimes, body aches
- A mild cough
- Swollen neck glands
- The appetite loss
Home remedies for Sore Throat
To help soothe a sore throat and shorten how long it lasts, you can;
- Gargle with warm, salty water (children should not try this)
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat cool or soft foods
- Avoid smoking or smoky places
- Suck ice cubes, ice lollies, or hard sweets – but do not give young children anything small and hard to suck because of the risk of choking
- It is commonly spread by sharing drinks, kissing, coughing, nose-blowing, and sneezing. So the use of masks, handkerchiefs, or even a hand is recommended.
Ayurveda has given us a simple escape to get rid of a sore throat that you can easily practice at home. These ancient remedies are worth giving a try (1).
Here, we are sharing the top three Ayurvedic remedies to soothe your throat;
Ginger is a hot potency herb that works best for sore throat. It is an anti-inflammatory and helps to heal a sore throat quickly. The bioactive compounds of ginger also support the immune system and fight infection.
How to use it?
- 1 slice ginger, fresh
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 100 ml of water
- Combine ginger, black pepper, and water in a saucepan.
- Boil for 5 minutes over a low flame.
- Strain and pour in a cup.
You can drink this ginger tea 2-3 times a day.
Avoid drinking it more than two times during hot weather.
A saltwater gargle is a quick way to get rid of the irritation and scratchy feeling in the throat. Gargling 4-5 times a day helps to reduce the swelling inside the throat area.
It will also remove the irritants and release the accumulated mucus from the throat region.
How to use it?
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 100 ml of water, warm
- Warm 100 ml water in a pan.
- Pour it in a glass and add salt to it.
- Mix it well and gargle in the backside of your throat.
- Spit it out once you are done with gargling.
For quick relief, repeat this 3 to 4 times a day
Turmeric contains a substance named curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory action. Due to this, it helps to fight infection and cure a sore throat.
How to use it?
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 200 ml of milk
- Combine turmeric powder with milk in a saucepan.
- Boil it for 5 minutes over a low flame.
- Strain and pour it in a cup.
- Serve it hot.
When to drink?
Drink it twice a day. You can drink it one hour before breakfast and two hours after dinner.
Must read – 24 most hydrating drinks to boost immunity
When to see a doctor?
Generally, if your sore throat does not improve in a weeks’ time then you should contact your health care provider.
Also, if the frequency of occurring sore throat is often, or it is accompanied with very high temperature or you feel hot or shivery, then you must consider an immediate appointment with your doctor.