ORAC is the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity. It’s a lab examination that attempts to evaluate the “total antioxidant capacity” (TAC) of a food by putting a sample of the food in a test tube, along with specific molecules that create totally free radical activity and certain other molecules that are at risk of oxidation.
It suggests antioxidant levels in foods are measured by ORAC. The higher the ORAC, the greater the antioxidant activity, and the better will be the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood & oxygen capacity of lungs.
The research suggests that the intake of antioxidant-rich foods decreases the damages to cells and biochemicals from free radicals. It may decrease, protect against, or perhaps reverse particular illness that develops from cellular harm, and potentially also slow down the natural aging procedure.
Read this – 10 ways to get more antioxidants
According to the free-radical concept of aging and diseases, a high antioxidant consumption from foods, will slow down the oxidative processes and also free radical damage that contributes to age-related deterioration and diseases.
Scientists and also researchers in the area of ORAC and anti-oxidants specify that the body can efficiently make use of 3000-5000 antioxidants or ORAC units each day. Any more than this seems to be of no added advantage as “excess” is more than likely secreted by the kidneys.
The oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood can be improved making use of natural fruits, vegetables, flavors, and also natural herbs that have high ORAC worths. It appears to have a substantial effect on plasma and tissue antioxidant capacity (1).
If you like, you can choose your foods based upon the ORAC scale, however, it’s just a part of the picture in a healthy diet.
ORAC values of some common foods per 100g food
- Peppermint, fresh 13978
- Oregano, fresh 13970
- Nuts, walnuts, English 13541
- Nuts, hazelnuts 9645
- Cranberries, raw 9584
- Beans, kidney, red, mature seeds, raw 8459
- Beans, black, mature seeds, raw 8040
- Nuts, pistachio nuts, raw 7983
- Beans, pinto, mature seeds, raw 7779
- Lentils, raw 7282
- Raspberries, raw 4882
- Basil, fresh 4805
- Nuts, almonds 4454
- Apples, Red Delicious, raw with skin 4275
- Peaches, dried to 40% moisture (purchased in Italy) 4222
- Raisins, white, dried to 40% moisture (purchased in Italy) 4188
- Apples, Granny Smith, raw, with skin 3898
- Figs, raw 3383
- Cherries, sweet, raw 3365
- Gooseberries, raw 3277
- Apricots, dried to 40% moisture (purchased in Italy) 3234
- Peanuts, all types, raw 3166
- Cabbage, red, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt 3145
- Broccoli, raw 3083
- Apples, raw, with skin 3082
The World’s Top 10 High ORAC foods per 100g
- Spices, cloves, ground 314446
- Sumac, bran, raw 312400
- Spices, cinnamon, ground 267536
- Sorghum, bran, hi-tannin 240000
- Spices, oregano, dried 200129
- Spices, turmeric, ground 159277
- Acai berry, freeze-dried 102700
- Sorghum, bran, black 100800
- Sumac, grain, raw 86800
- Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened 80933
Oxygen carrying capacity helps to prevent cancer, Neuro-degenerative disorders, diabetes, and so many chronic conditions.
High ORAC foods and Nutrients such as iron, vitamin C, Zinc, Omega 3, Magnesium, and Vitamin D helps boost our body’s defense mechanism. Apart from Tulsi, Ginger, Pepper, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Clove… herbs like Brahmi, Ashwagandha, Shatavari, Mulethi, Arjunarishtam, Peppermint, coriander seeds, cumin black seeds are catching the attention of Scientists.
In the future, our survival will certainly be based on our Immunity. So, this is more than any vaccine one needs for self-immunity. Without any side effects too!!