Today, June 7, we are celebrating second World Food Safety Day to Ensure – Develop – Sustain – Eat safe food and prevent the food borne risks. On this occasion, we have tried to pen down 21 most hydrating drinks besides water to boost immunity. A few of them are traditional recipes and few are with a nutritional twist. Hope you all will enjoy and incorporate the recipes to help you keep hydrated routinely.
LET FOOD BE THY MEDICINE AND MEDICINE BE THY FOOD – HIPPOCRATES
It is nothing exotic or fancy !! The answer lies in your kitchen which contains almost everything providing a balanced diet, anti-viral foods , immunity boosters and the most important – WATER – being the most neglected nutrient in our diet but one of the most vital. Pure water is the world’s first and foremost medicine also known as blue gold. Hence, it is very important to increase the intake of water.
|1||Cucumber||½ medium size-30gm|
|2||Curd||50gm- ½ katori|
|4||Roasted cumin seeds||½ tsp|
|5||Coriander leaves||For garnishing|
- Wash peel and grate cucumber. Wash leaves of mint and chop it.
- Take blender, add curd, grated cucumber, roasted jeera, chopped mint leaves and sal
- Blend it together for smooth consistency, remove it in a vessel, add 1 glass of water, mix properly keep in refrigerator.
- Serve in glass garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Health Tip – Nourishing drink loaded with goodness of cucumber, calcium and protein. Though you must stay away from addictive foods to remain healthy.
|1||Sattu powder||2 tsp|
|2||Curd||60gm- ½ katori|
|3||Roasted cumin seeds||½ tsp|
|4||Coriander leaves||For garnishing|
- Take 2 tsp of sattu powder. Roast jeera seeds, and chop coriander leaves.
- Grind together curd, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, and salt and blend it in mixer.
- Remove it in vessel add water and dilute it and serve.
Health Tip – It’s a high protein, great probiotic drink. It’s a very nourishing drink to be taken during breakfast, or can be great mid-morning or mid-evening drink. You have to follow small-small steps to improve health.
Flaxseeds Ginger Buttermilk
|1||Flax seeds||1 tsp|
|3||Turmeric powder||¼ th tsp|
|4||Ginger grated||½ tsp|
|5||Pepper powder||½ tsp|
|7||Roasted cumin seeds||½ tsp|
|8||Coriander leaves||For garnishing|
- Slightly roast flax seeds and jeera seeds together.
- Take a blender add curd, flaxseeds, grated ginger, pepper powder, roasted cumin seeds, mint leaves and blend it together.
- Add 1 glass of water mix properly again and add salt.
Health Tip – Loaded with richness of fiber, omega 3 fatty acids, anti-viral properties, great for weight watchers and wonderful probiotic drink.
|1||Lime juice||½ cup|
|2||Mint leaves||20 leaves|
|4||Organic honey||3 tsp.|
|6||Black salt||To taste|
- Boil 2 glasses of water.
- Take a vessel, add chopped or grated ginger, and mint leaves and honey
- Add boiled water on it and keep it for 25minutes.
- Strain the liquid add lime juice, salt and if required little sugar can be added.
Health Tip – Great hydrating drink loaded with vitamin c and antiviral properties from ginger. You must read How to stay motivated and lose weight in time.
|1||Watermelon cleaned, chopped into pieces, and remove seeds||1 bowl|
|2||Mint leaves||20 leaves|
|3||Black salt||1/4th tsp.|
- Take a blender, add chopped watermelon, and add mint leaves black salt.
- Blend it to fine smoothie, no need to add water to this drink and do not strain
- Served chilled
Health Tip – Ideal drink for weight watchers, loaded with goodness of lycopene from watermelon. Ideal for mid-evening drink. Additionally, note these 7 everyday ways to burn 100 calories.
Beetroot Mint Basil juice:
|1||Beetroot – grated||½ medium size|
|2||Ginger grated||1 tsp.|
|3||Mint leaves||20 leaves|
|4||Black salt||1/4th tsp.|
|5||Pepper powder||A small pinch|
|6||Organic honey||1 tsp.|
- Wash, peel beetroot and grate it. Wash mint leaves and basil leaves and chop it.
- Take a blender, add grated beet root, basil leaves, mint leaves and pepper powder.
- Blend it together, strain and add 1 ½ glass of water.
- Add honey black salt, and sugar mix properly and keep it in refrigerator for 3 hrs.
- Serve chilled.
Health Tip – Nourishing drink loaded with goodness of antioxidant carotenoids, great for weight watchers as a filler, improves immunity.
|1||Cumin seeds powder||2tsp.|
|3||Black pepper powder||1tsp|
|4||Black salt||1 tsp.|
|5||Asafoetida – hing||½ tsp|
- Mix all the powders together. Cumin seeds, amchur powder, black pepper powder, hing and black salt.
- Chop and pound mint leaves.
- Take a glass of water, add pounded mint leaves, add 1tsp of jaljeera powder mix, add black salt, sugar lime juice and mix properly.
- Keep it for cooling.
- Before serving mix properly with spoon and serv chilled.
Health Tip – Hydrating drink to quench the thirst of summer, cumin seeds, amchur powder, hing makes drink gut friendly.
|1||Banana||½ medium size|
|4||Chia seeds soaked||1tsp.|
|5||Cinnamon powder||1/4th tsp.|
- Peel and chop banana. Take blender add ½ cup curd, ½ chopped banana, honey cinnamon powder and blend it properly. Add 1 cup water add, soaked chia seeds
- Serve immediately
Health Tip – Loaded with goodness of proteins, calcium and potassium from banana. Great drink can be taken at the time of breakfast or mid-evening drink. It’s a wonderful pre and probiotic drink. Do you know these 8 ways to eat more fruits in your diet? Click here to know.
|1||Mango ripe||½ medium size|
|4||Chia seeds soaked||1tsp.|
- Peel and chop mango. Take blender add ½ cup curd, ½ chopped mango, honey almonds and blend it properly. Add 1 cup water add, soaked chia seeds
- Keep it in refrigerator for ½ hr and served chilled.
Health Tip – Loaded with goodness of proteins, calcium and beta carotene from mangoes. Great drink can be taken at the time of breakfast or mid-evening drink. It’s a wonderful probiotic drink. Along with good food, you should adhere to some stratagems to increase stamina.
Thandai with water
|3||Big cardamom||1 no|
|4||Poppy seeds||1 tspn|
|5||Pepper corns||½ tspn|
|6||Sugar syrup||1 tspn|
- Soak poppy seeds overnight. Make a paste
- Grind spices and make a mix.
- Add paste and spice mix to sugar syrup
- Add water cool it.
Health Tip – Ideal gut friendly drink to quench the thirst of summer,with goodness of calcium.
Thandai with milk
|3||Cashew nuts||2 no|
|4||Poppy seeds||1 tsp.|
|5||Melon seeds||1 tsp.|
|7||Pepper corns||½ tsp.|
- Soak poppy seeds, cashew nuts, almonds and melon seeds overnight. Make a paste of it.
- Grind pepper corns, fennel, cardamom and saffron. Prepare its spice mix powder.
- Add sugar paste and spice mix to milk and cook till it thickens.
- Chill and serve .
Health Tip – Drink with extreme cooling effect antiviral properties and good source of proteins, calcium. By the way, milk itself has great benefits to health.
|1||Ambadi dried petals||10-12|
- Boil 1 glass of water, add dried ambadi petals and allow it to boil till water becomes red in color.
- Allow it to cool it and sieve.
- Add sugar/honey and ice cubes.Serve chill.
Health Tip – Ambadi sharbat is loaded with goodness of betacorotene, good source of iron. At the same time, be aware of these 5 white poisons.
|1||Whey water||1 glass|
|3||Mint leaves||As per taste|
|4||Chat masala||½ tspn|
- Take 1 glass of milk, squeeze lemon, separate paneer and whey water.
- Take a glass of whey water and add lemon juice, chopped mint leaves and chat masala.
- Chill and serve.
Health Tip – Whey water is good source of protein and vitamin C. Water is beneficial, check cold or warm?
Panha (Roasted green mango)
|1||Mango pulp||2 tbsp.|
|3||Jaggery||As per taste|
|4||Black salt||½ tpn|
- Roast raw mango and remove the pulp. Extra pulp can be stored in fridge.
- Take 2 tbsp. of pulp, add Jaggery, black salt
- Add water to the pulp and blend.
- Serve chilled.
Health Tip – Roasted mango pulp panha has unique taste, loaded with goodness of vitamin c.
Panha (Boiled Green Mango)
|1||Mango pulp||2 tbspn|
|3||sugar||As per taste|
|4||Black salt||½ tspn|
|5||Jal jeera powder||½ tspn|
- Boil raw mango and remove the pulp.
- Add sugar, black salt, Jal jeera powder.
- Add water to the pulp and blend.
Health Tip – Ideal hydrating drink loaded with vitamin c, goodness of jaggery.
Bel sherbat (Wood apple)
|1||Bel pulp||2 tbspn|
|4||Jaggery water||11/2 tbspn|
|5||Jeera powder||½ tspn|
|6||Pepper powder||¼ tspn|
|7||Fresh coriander||To taste|
- Remove pulp from the fruit and mash, remove the seeds add water and mix, sieve properly.
- Once the pulp is properly dissolved in water, boil it for 5 minutes.
- Add Jaggery further cook for 10 minutes.Allow it to cool and strain.
- Take cooled pulp, water, mix properly, also roasted cumin powder, black salt, black pepper powder.
- Add ice cubes (optional), garnish with coriander.
Health Tip – Coolest drink to quench summer thirst with antiviral properties of spices increases immunity.
|1||Pearl Barley||2 tbspn|
|2||Lemon juice||½ tspn|
|3||Peel of lemon||1 no|
|5||Black salt||¼ tspn|
- Wash barley, place it in a pan with lemon peel and I cup of water.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, simmer for 15-30 min, and strain.
- Add honey/sugar, lemon juice and black salt let the mixture cool.
- Refrigerate until chill.
Health Tip – Loaded with vitamin c
|4||Black salt||¼ tspn|
|5||Roasted cumin powder||¼ tspn|
|6||Lemon juice (optional)||½ tspn|
- Soak kokum in a cup of warm water for 45 min.
- Grind the soaked kokum into a smooth paste.
- In a pan add sugar and water .boil for 5-8 min and make a syrup.
- Let the syrup cool down.
- Add kokum paste in syrup and mix well.
- Strain the syrup through fine sieve.
- Now add black salt,cumin powder and lemon juice.
- Now add 1 cup chilled water and serve in a glass withlemon.
Health Tip – Ideal drink to quench the thirst of summer and gut friendly drink.
Black Tea with lemon
|3||Lemon juice||1 tbspn|
- Boil water add tea and sugar.
- Let it cool then add lemon juice.
Health Tip – Ideal drink with antioxidant and vitamin C and antiviral property of Basil.
Tea with green lemon grass
|3||Green lemon grass||1 tspn|
- Boil water,add tea sugar and green lemon grass.
- Simmer for 5 min.
- Add milk and strain and serve hot.
Health tip – A refreshing beverage, good for digestion and full of antioxidants, heals cold and flu.
You should read Top 5 peerless benefits of Green Tea
|5||Ginger grated||1/2 tspn|
- Boil water, addtea, jaggery and ginger.
- Simmer for 5 min, add basil leaves.
- Boil, strain and serve hot.
Health Tip – Ideal drink for stimulating the nervous system with antiviral property of ginger and basil.
|1||Plain curd||1 cup|
|2||Chilled milk||½ cup|
|3||Peeled orange||1 no|
|4||Cardamom powder||¼ tspn|
|7||Ice cubes||2-3 nos|
- Add yoghurt, milk, sugar, honey, cardamom powder, chopped orange and ice cubes to a jar.
- Blend well until creamy and smooth.
- Garnish with almonds. Serve chilled.
Health Tip – Loaded with goodness of proteins, calcium and vitamin C of oranges. Great drink can be taken at the time of breakfast or mid-evening drink gives satiety. It’s a wonderful probiotic.
|2||Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
- Boil 1 cup milk, to that add ½ tsp of turmeric powder and drink warm.
Health Tips – It offers anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties and helps to boost the immunity.
|4||Dry ginger||1/4th tsp|
- Boil everything together in glass of water. Boil for 3-5 minutes. Strain and drink warm kadha.
Health Tips – It stimulate digestion, increase immunity and also detox our body.
To sum up;
It becomes mandatory to take preventive measures by enhancing the body’s immunity and fight against the virus by maintaining optimum health – particularly during COVID-19 while there is no cure as of now. At least you can follow these Eating zones during lock down. Beside water, try these 21 most hydrating drinks to ensure better water intake every time. Optimum nutrition is the right mix of all nutrients.
It will be challenging life after COVID-19. Know how?